Cavities are a common dental problem. It is crucial to detect a cavity in its early stages to prevent it from causing any further damage to the tooth. Fortunately, DIAGNOdent laser cavity detection uses advanced technology to enable dentists to identify cavities in their initial stages.
At Brighton Dental in Salt Lake City, Utah, we use the unique DIAGNOdent laser technology that scans the tooth's surface and signals any hidden decay. This latest preventive dentistry technology provides us with accuracy, precision, and comfort that will help transform your dental experience.
What Is DIAGNOdent?
DIAGNOdent is a laser examination tool that helps in the early detection of decay. It is very effective in identifying the small lesions in their initial stages. The light-emitting tool is placed on the teeth and gives us digital data, which is used to analyze and determine the presence of hidden decay. The use of DIAGNOdent laser technology involves no anesthetic and is pain- and radiation-free, making it safe and suitable for all patients.
What Are the Benefits OF DIAGNOdent Laser Detection?
Some of the fantastic benefits that you can enjoy with laser cavity detection include:
- Accurate detection: They have over ninety percent accuracy in detecting decay that was not visible with an explorer or bitewing X-rays.
- Conservative treatment: They prevent unnecessary invasive treatment of suspicious teeth.
- Data-driven diagnosis: Precise, reliable measurement tools that give us accurate data to help monitor cavity activity over a period.
- Confidence-building treatment: They help in treating the affected sites and the underlying cavities with precision.
- Empowering information: Allows hygienists to educate patients on cavities and decay.
- Interactive processes: Involves patients in the examination process.
- Safe diagnostic process: Uses light energy and no exposure to harmful radiation. They pose no risk to patients.
- Painless procedure: Quick, non-invasive examination tool.
How Does DIAGNOdent Work?
DIAGNOdent consists of a pen-like wand that emits a safe and harmless laser beam into the tooth to measure internal brightness. The laser works at a specific wavelength (655 nm) and uses two-way optics to quantify the amount of light reflected out of the tooth. Regular, healthy teeth reflect less light than a decayed tooth. The lighter the tooth reflects, and the brighter it appears. And that means it has more decay.
Through DIAGNOdent, the oral cavity abnormalities that were previously not visible to the naked eye can now be identified. Moreover, it helps us to define the appropriate margins for surgical removal.
If you would like more information about laser cavity detection, call Brighton Dental in Salt Lake City, Utah, at (801) 943-2020 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Carroll.